Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Life between the voyage and now.

Well, I'm sorry that it has been so long since I've posted. I'll try to briefly explain life over the past few weeks and then jump back into the voyage - as I'd rather be there right now anyway!

After arriving back in the states I got the opportunity to visit with some family and friends in Florida and St. Louis. I headed up to Ames for a visit and to meet the movers and just before I got there found out that my grandmother passed away. I then spent a night up in Ames and headed back to the St. Louis area for the funeral.

I then headed to JC and KC to see the family and friends. The day after Christmas I headed to Omaha and had a blast visiting with a few friends from undergrad - a great mini-reunion of sorts. From there, I took off on my trek half-way across the country in order to begin the next chapter of my life here in Oregon.

Luckily, I didn't have to make the drive alone. Hassan offered to drive it with me and we had a good time. Four days in a car with one person is a lot to ask of anyone - especially after not having seen that person, or really talked, in 3 months! =) I'm surprised he didn't leave me somewhere along the highway! =) Just kidding... Needless to say, we didn’t drive each other too crazy.

We took 80 West all the way to California, visited Ang and her family in Salt Lake, spent a day bike riding in San Francisco, and took the scenic route up the coastline of CA to Oregon. All in all it was a nice trip, but I was definitely antsy about getting to OR.

I began work the day after we arrived and have been going full steam ahead ever since. I'm beginning to settle into my duplex and will post pictures once I have cleared the boxes. Oh, and maybe after I acquire some furniture as well. =) I really like my new job thus far and am enjoying the students. It has been hard to be back in the states and, although I've been so happy to see everyone, I miss the ship, the people and ship-life desperately.

No comments: